Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Dog Training- The Perfect Dog

Looking for that perfect dog? The perfect dog would be:

1. Intelligent, attentive, and quick to learn, making him easy to train.
2. Loyal, trustworthy, and be protective of your family and property.
3. Friendly in nature, very social, great with people, other dogs and animals, and loves children.
4.Obedient, obeys all your commands, sit, stay ,down, fetch, etc..

The perfect dog would not:

1. Poop and pee on your carpet.
2. Chew on your shoes or the best seller you almost finished.
3. Drag out all your dirty laundry and scatter them throughout your house.
4. Go into all your bedrooms turning them upside down, as if on a search and rescue mission.

Some say that there is no such thing as a perfect dog. Of course, dogs need to be trained, they are not born with social skills, or have the knowledge of how to be obedient. One must put in a lot of time, must be very patient, and must be very consistent. Even after you put in all the effort to train your dog, he would still need some tweaking here and there. Every dog somehow acquires there own personality, or should I say dogonality. You then find yourself training around his dogonality.

I have the perfect dog, story goes, I'll make it short. I didn't even want my dog. One day, well not your typical day, it was 16 years ago, our island got hit with a hurricane, houses got destroyed every place a big mess, just not the perfect day. Anyway a friend comes over to my water soaked house, holding this dog, about 6 months old, asking me if I wanted her. I told her no, that I didn't have time for a dog. I explained to her about a dog I used to own when I was younger, and how I was so hurt when I lost it I swore never to own a dog again. She kept insisting that I should take this dog, and all my excuses became the more reason I should take the dog. I still told her no. Okay, she says, still trying to get a sale as if she was selling a vacuum cleaner or something, sadly saying that the puppy was tied up in a garage during the hurricane,that the owners got displaced and she was to find a good home or take it to the Humane Society where they would most likely put it down. There was no one else but me.

I looked into that dog's eyes, and the rest is history. She was the perfect dog when I bought her first collar and leash, her first bowl and chew toy. She was the perfect dog when I came home and had to get down on my hands and knees to clean up her poop, saying that's okay,we'll get it right the next time. She was the perfect dog when I had to change my lifestyle, now I'm going on long walks in the park or on the beach. She was the perfect dog when she got rattled with the sight of lightning and the sound of thunder.

Today she still is the perfect dog. I trained her the best way I could, she may not be perfect in that sense, but I think that the perfect dog can be any dog that depends on you to be there, to be patient, be consistent, and especially be loved. In return you will find the perfect dog that is loyal, friendly, protective, and devoted to you. They become your best friend.

No comments: